Most of the beautiful weddings I see across the blogosphere seem just too sophisticated and personal for the typical YMCA wedding music. So, borrowing the idea from my lovely fellow blogger Samantha Ross, I have put my mix-making skills (that ALL my friends know about) to use to create a list of some fun, romantic, and not so typical tunes. Considering the much longer iTunes playlist that came out of this project, we will call this the first installation.
Click the song titles for audio and/or video!
1. Sun Giant - Fleet Foxes
This would be a beautiful song to walk down the aisle to at a woodsy d.i.y. wedding. The harmonies are haunting!
2. Could We - Cat Power
Sweet and sultry with a good beat.
3. Marry Me - St. Vincent
She may say "Marry me, John," but this song is irresistibly adorable, regardless
4. Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
For the Bob Dylan fans out there (I am a devoted one), this is one of his most romantic stories.
5. Let's Dance - David Bowie
A fun, but unexpected, song to get people on the dance floor.
6. You Are The Best Thing - Ray Lamontagne
A crooner with an old-school soul vibe.
7. Love Me Do - The Beatles
A classic for a reason. It's pretty hard not to love this one.
8. Goodway - Monsters of Folk
Sounds like a picnic date on a sunny day.
9. Home - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
As quirky and romantic as freak-folk comes. With whistling and a catchy chorus to boot!
10. I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie
This would make a lovely first dance song for the right couple.
11. One Two Three Four - Feist
Cute, charming, and easy to sing along to. What more can you ask? There's also a banjo!
12. Make You Feel My Love - Adele
The perfect romantic slow-dance song.
13. A Case Of You - Joni Mitchell
A tender folk-ballad sung by one of the greatest voices of all time.
14. Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
A modern indie love song.
15. The Calculation - Regina Spektor
A charming, upbeat take on relationships with the most adorable lyrics.
16. Hallelujah - Brandi Carlile
A memorable and chilling cover of a classic song.
17. You Really Gotta Hold On Me - She & Him
A lovely back and forth duet with a bit of sway.
18. The Luckiest - Ben Folds (This made Samantha's list, too!)
Get your tissues out for this one, it's a doozy.
19. Flightless Bird, American Mouth - Iron & Wine
Yes, it was in Twilight. It's still a beautiful song. Really.
I will give you a couple weeks to enjoy these wonderful songs, and then on to round two!